Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thankful Thursday

My friend Angie has been doing this on her blog for a while now and I think it is such a great way to look at the good things in our lives and count our blessings. One of my New Years Resolutions was to do this...and now that January is over I better get started!

Every Thursday I will write about 5 things I was grateful for that week. Since this is my first week it will be, of course, the big things I am most grateful for. Sorry, I didn't mean for this post to be so long. Thanks for the idea Angie!

#1 My amazing husband who works hard to provide for the physical and spiritual needs of our family. From the first time I met him I could tell he was someone who has a huge heart and loves to serve others. We became best friends soon after we met and he is still my very best friend. He is an awesome father to our boys and husband to me. He is funny, easy to talk to, fun to be with, faithful, loyal, responsible and generous. Oh yeah...and he's pretty hot too! What more could a woman want??? (You can click on the pictures to make them bigger)



#2 My Darling Boys! Although they are loud and rambunctious I love them to pieces!! They are the perfect mixture of Sweet and Sour :) I love their hugs, kisses and snuggles. And I also love it when they are stubborn and ornery because it reminds me that they are just little people trying to make sense of a very big world. I love to watch them explore and discover new things. I love that the things you and I take for granted everyday are amazing and wonderful to them. Martina McBride wrote a song about her daughter that I just love, so I am going to share "my version" of it with you. I am not a poet but I wish I was. I have such a hard time expressing my feelings sometimes and when I heard this song I fell in love with it because this is exactly how I feel about my boys. If I was a poet this is what I would write :)

(I substituted child for daughter.)
In my child's eyes I am a hero. I am strong and wise and I know no fear, but the truth is plain to see they were sent to rescue me, I see who I want to be, in my child's eyes.

And when they wrap their hands around my finger oh it puts a smile in my heart, everything becomes a little clearer I realize what life is all about. It's hangin' when your heart has had enough, it's giving more when you feel like giving up. I've seen the light, it's in my child's eyes.

In my child's eyes everyone is equal, darkness turns to light and the world is at piece. These miracles God gave to me gives me strength when I am weak. I find reason to believe in my childs eyes.

In my child's eyes I can see the future A reflection of who I am and what will be, and though they'll grow and someday leave, maybe raise a family, when I'm gone I hope they'll see how happy they made me, for I'll be there in my child's eyes.

I cry whenever I hear this song. So the second thing I am grateful for is my children!



#3 My Parents. I was blessed with wonderful parents. They are two of the most kind and generous people you will ever meet. I learned at an early age that my parents would take the shirts off their backs if they thought someone else needed it. I can't tell you how many times my parents dropped what they were doing, dragged us into the grocery store to buy groceries and handed them out to homeless people on the street. I remember one time my dad saw a little Mexican lady with four little kids inside a gas station. He bought them some food and told them we would be back. We went home and grabbed our DI bag full of clothes and gave them to this lady. She was so grateful. I remember a Christmas when were taking food, clothes, blankets, a microwave and an old used TV to a needy family(5 or 6 kids I think). On the way there we (the kids) were so embarrassed that we were taking some of our "old stuff" to these people. When we got to there apartment it was bare. They were soooo excited to have blankets, clothes food etc... I think I was about 7 or 8 years old and I remember crying because I was so happy to see the joy in their faces as we unloaded our van. I can go on and on and on telling experiences like these. I can't even count how many cousins and friends we had live with us growing up because they needed a place to stay. My parents never turned down someone in need. I am so grateful that my parents taught me the importance of loving and serving others. I am also grateful they raised me in the gospel and helped me to gain my own testimony.



#4 My Sister and Brothers. I am the youngest of five children and I love that I was raised in a big family. I really am a lucky girl to have such amazing siblings. I have learned so much from each of them. As I have grown older I have often thought of how lonely and boring my life would have been if I was an only child. Although I was teased and tortured at times as a little girl (: I was rarely bored or lonely. I always had someone to play with (or fight with). Our home was always full of laughter, and even though we fought sometimes we always loved each other. I love the connection I will always share with my brothers and sister. They are the only people who really know what my childhood was like and I treasure the memories we share. I think that with maturity comes love and respect and I truly love and respect each one of them. They have been a huge blessing in my life, and as we have each been married and had children I have learned to love their spouses and children as well. I am so grateful that my children have such wonderful Aunts, Uncles and Cousins who are great examples to them and who love them.
( I know I look horrible in this picture, but I jut had a baby...throw me a bone OK)



#5 My husbands family. I know some of you may think I am either crazy or trying to score points with my in laws, but I promise, neither one are true. I was so blessed to marry into a family that loves and accepts me for who I am. I have never felt like an "outlaw" or an outsider. I always wanted a younger brother or sister and now I have 6! I love being the big sister with all the advise (: even though it may not always be the best advise. I have so much fun when we get together and enjoy spending time with them. I am also grateful that my children have Uncles and Aunts on daddy's side who are great examples and love them also. I am grateful for my mother-in-law who is a great example to me of service, sacrifice and faith.
(bummer- there was a smudge on the camera)



#6 Of course I have to add one more because where would I be without the gospel??? I know how blessed I am to have the Gospel in my life and the knowledge I have of Eternal Families. I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and for my Savior Jesus Christ and know that all of these blessings come from them.

5 comments:

Hemphill Family said...

You don have an awesome family, on both sides. I would be greatful too.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I love it.

Kristen said...

Summer what an awesome post! thanks for sharing that with us. I will be looking forward to your Thursday posts!

Amber said...

Summer, this is so cool. I love the pictures of your family. What a great idea. Have fun at Disneyland tomorrow. See ya soon, Amber

Kari and Brian said...

Summer that was so great. It is so great to reflect on all the things we are greatful for in our lives.

A Fun Slideshow